Although not in Portland, I really like this photo of Patrick holding a long-toed salamander at the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge in Washington, which Patrick and I visited on Sunday morning for a family bird walk as part of their annual Birdfest.
- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- Wednesday photo of the week: she’s lichen it, revisited
- Getting to know Pacific Northwest nature: a tour with Portland’s Volcano Lands
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- Monday thought of the week: a deep and irresistible urge
- Wednesday photo of the week: tree time
- BOOK: Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World
- Monday thought of the week: especially you
- BOOK: Flashlight
- BOOK: National Wildlife Federation’s World of Birds: A Beginner’s Guide
- Northwest Children’s Nature Play Week, Sept 11 – 15