- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- Monday thought of the week: get out of their way
- Travel Oregon’s “The 7 Wonders of Oregon”
- Our results for the 2014 Great Backyard Bird Count
- Wednesday photo of the week: flying like a bird
- Already thinking about camps for summer 2014?
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- LECTURE: Parenting With Nature in Mind, April 9
- Monday thought of the week: no limits
- Wednesday photo of the week: rainy day thoughts
- Monday thought of the week: to flame again
Monthly Archives: January 2011
A thought: When we try to pick anything out by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe. – John Muir, My First Summer in the Sierras (1911) [this quote is often shared as “Tug on anything … Continue reading
Stag Beetle Power! has a long list of Portland-area events for kids; here are those that would interest readers of this blog (yes, I am shamelessly copying): “Science Fun”, Tuesday, February 1, 2-4PM, Beaverton City Library Meeting Rooms A and … Continue reading
Space is up Earth is down The sun is hot Earth is not – Patrick, January 24, 2010
A thought: Ecologists tell us that things are a little livelier at the edge where two ecosystems come together. Usually more wildlife can be found in this ecotone than in either one of the adjacent ecosystems. Moderns find it convenient … Continue reading
This past Saturday the weather was beautiful and it was actually warm out! So after I got off work, we took Patrick to the Oregon Zoo (a benefit of having a membership is that you are justified in going for … Continue reading
From OutdoorDads: OutdoorDads is heading out on our monthly hike this coming fourth Saturday of the month (Jan 22), and you and your favorite little person(s) are invited. We’ll hike a short and scenic trail to a beyoootiful and seldom-seen … Continue reading
Patrick (or “Patck”) made this collage at preschool.