- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- Wednesday photo of the week: where did the time go?
- BOOK REVIEW: The Northwest Coastal Explorer
- Monday thought of the week: the landscapes they inhabit
- VIDEO: Nature is everywhere — we just need to learn to see it – TED Talks
- VIDEO: This Is Your Brain on Nature – Nat Geo Live
- Wednesday photo of the week: autumn beauty
- Monday thought of the week: the nature of our own selves
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- BOOK REVIEW: Best Outdoor Adventures Near Portland
- Wednesday photo of the week: out on a limb
Monthly Archives: January 2011
A thought: When we try to pick anything out by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe. – John Muir, My First Summer in the Sierras (1911) [this quote is often shared as “Tug on anything … Continue reading
Stag Beetle Power! has a long list of Portland-area events for kids; here are those that would interest readers of this blog (yes, I am shamelessly copying): “Science Fun”, Tuesday, February 1, 2-4PM, Beaverton City Library Meeting Rooms A and … Continue reading
Space is up Earth is down The sun is hot Earth is not – Patrick, January 24, 2010
A thought: Ecologists tell us that things are a little livelier at the edge where two ecosystems come together. Usually more wildlife can be found in this ecotone than in either one of the adjacent ecosystems. Moderns find it convenient … Continue reading
This past Saturday the weather was beautiful and it was actually warm out! So after I got off work, we took Patrick to the Oregon Zoo (a benefit of having a membership is that you are justified in going for … Continue reading
From OutdoorDads: OutdoorDads is heading out on our monthly hike this coming fourth Saturday of the month (Jan 22), and you and your favorite little person(s) are invited. We’ll hike a short and scenic trail to a beyoootiful and seldom-seen … Continue reading
Patrick (or “Patck”) made this collage at preschool.