Sign the petition by June 30!
- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- Post-epilepsy surgery update
- Wednesday photo of the week: jump!
- Monday thought of the week: a wonderland to me
- GUEST POST: BOOK REVIEW: Baby Birds: An Artist Looks Into the Nest
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- Kids to Parks Day is May 21 (and a national parks book giveaway)
- BOOK REVIEW: Spring nature book titles from Dawn Publications look at urban wildlife, farm animals, and growing green beans
- Wednesday photo of the week: quiet moment
- BOOK REVIEW: The Creaky Knees Guide Oregon: The 85 Best Easy Hikes
- Monday thought of the week: arranging a romance
Monthly Archives: February 2011
A thought (or two): Now I see the secret of making the best persons, It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth. – Walt Whitman, from Leaves of Grass (1871-2) Come forth … Continue reading
Looks like a fun event for families (click image for more information):
This Story and Stroll program at Tryon Creek State Park was all about slugs. This park is known for banana slugs, but non-native species as well. The kids were read a story by Ranger Cristal – Some Smug Slug – … Continue reading
Richard Louv (blog, @RichLouv), author of Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder and co-founder of the Children & Nature Network (Facebook, @childrennature), will lecture in Eugene at the University of Oregon on March 7th: “Beyond … Continue reading
Today Patrick and I fit in 15 minutes of watching birds at our feeder. He was somewhat distracted by some new toys he received from visiting grandparents, but helped point out birds nonetheless. We did this last year, in Butte, … Continue reading
For President’s Day, the Portland Japanese Garden offered free admission. Catherine’s parents were in town, so we decided to head on over (Catherine has been before, Patrick too – in utero, actually – but this was my first visit). The weather … Continue reading
A thought: Yet I also appreciate that we cannot win this battle to save species and environments without forging an emotional bond between ourselves and nature as well—for we will not fight to save what we do not love (but … Continue reading
America’s Great Outdoors (Facebook/Twitter) February 16, 2011 VIDEO: http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-video/video/2011/02/16/president-obama-americas-great-outdoors-initiative