Sign the petition by June 30!
- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- Post-epilepsy surgery update
- Wednesday photo of the week: jump!
- Monday thought of the week: a wonderland to me
- GUEST POST: BOOK REVIEW: Baby Birds: An Artist Looks Into the Nest
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- Kids to Parks Day is May 21 (and a national parks book giveaway)
- BOOK REVIEW: Spring nature book titles from Dawn Publications look at urban wildlife, farm animals, and growing green beans
- Wednesday photo of the week: quiet moment
- BOOK REVIEW: The Creaky Knees Guide Oregon: The 85 Best Easy Hikes
- Monday thought of the week: arranging a romance
Monthly Archives: May 2011
Via Powell’s: William L. Sullivan‘s Oregon Favorites: Trails and Tales (Navillus) features 62 stories about places and people in Oregon’s outdoors. From a ski adventure at Crater Lake to a wildflower hike in the Columbia Gorge or a hidden hot springs in … Continue reading
From Orion Magazine: Reconnecting With Nature: Richard Louv and Friends Join Live Web Event on June 16 Many of us are more familiar with what’s on TV than with what’s crawling, growing, and flying just beyond our windows. With summer … Continue reading
A thought: In previous posts, I have bemoaned the recent startling transformation in children’s leisure time. A child growing up today is likely to spend 90% less time outdoors than a child born just one generation ago. How can we … Continue reading
We recently moved from our apartment to a small rental house on a quiet street about a mile away. We’re enjoying the diversity of birds we’ve seen at our new locale, almost twice as many in this month of May … Continue reading
A thought: I had no epiphany but I did spend a lot of time out-of-doors, playing in the woods, and hemlock groves in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania, and along the streams and rivers of the area. I later learned … Continue reading
Catherine joined Patrick and I for an evening stroll yesterday at Tryon Creek State Park (photos):
Today was National Walk in the Woods Day. We took a short stroll through Tryon Creek State Park this evening: