The day after visiting Graham Oaks Nature Park, Patrick and I headed over to Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge in the Sellwood area of Portland. In particular, we wanted to see Great Blue Herons (we did), but there were a few special moments as well: holding a frog, watching a hummingbird in its nest, finding tadpoles, and also finding a woolly bear caterpillar (although it was a dead one). As you’ll see in a few photos, Patrick has become quite fond of sharing his discoveries with others on the trail. Photos:
Purchase books from
- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- BOOK REVIEW: Charley Harper’s What’s in the Desert? A Nature Discovery Book
- BOOK REVIEW: Seasons of Joy
- BOOK REVIEW: On a Magical Do-Nothing Day
- BOOK REVIEW: The Creaky Knees Guide Pacific Northwest National Parks and Monuments: The 75 Best Easy Hikes
- BOOK: Rainy Day Kids Adventure Book
- BOOK REVIEW: Grand Canyon by Jason Chin
- BOOK: There’s No Such Thing as Bad Weather & GIVEAWAY!
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- BOOK REVIEW: Where’s Rodney?
- BOOKS: Six recent titles from Dawn Publications about the natural world