- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- Wednesday photo of the week: gorge view
- Upcoming nature events in Portland, including Earth Day at Kenton Park and Arbor Day Festival
- Monday thought of the week: to play safely outside
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- Wednesday photo of the week: how high can he go?
- Monday thought of the week: many different things at once
- Wednesday photo of the week: what’s in the creek?
- Grand Opening of Outdoor Adventure at PCM on April 22
- Monday (um, Tuesday) thought of the week: close to home
- My two pieces in this month’s issue of Metro Parent
Monthly Archives: April 2012
I don’t think any Portland blog would be complete without sharing this fantastic video:
A thought: We often forget that we are nature. Nature is not something separate from us. So when we say that we have lost our connection to nature. We’ve lost our connection to ourselves. – Andy Goldsworthy, British sculptor and … Continue reading
Via: May 8, Tuesday, 7 – 9 p.m. (doors open at 6:30) Legacy Good Samaritan Hospital Office Bldg. 1040 NW 22nd Ave., first floor auditorium, Portland Free screening of the documentary film A Sense Of Wonder, a one-woman play about Rachel Carson … Continue reading
Debi of Go Explore Nature tagged me with this photo meme, called “My 7 Super Shots.” The task is to pick photos that emulate the different categories (here is the original post with the rules). I immediately thought of a … Continue reading
For Earth Day 2012, I set up our Secular Sunday School group (through the Center for Inquiry-Portland) to pull invasive plants at a natural area in Beaverton. We headed to Kaiser Woods Park () on that Sunday to clear some … Continue reading
A thought: But let children walk with Nature, let them see the beautiful blendings and communions of death and life, their joyous inseparable unity, as taught in woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and … Continue reading
The OMSI Science Pub on April 17th had a nature theme to it: Penguins of Oregon. The presenter was none other than Portland’s favorite naturalist, James Davis. Of course, there are no penguins in Oregon, but there are coastal birds that people … Continue reading
One April evening Patrick and I headed to the Mission Theater in NW Portland for an OMSI Science Pub (see next post). We arrived a little early so we played for a little while at Couch Park (, pics) .