The other day while Patrick and I were weeding in our front yard, he pulled from my bucket of weeds an insect. At first I though it was a bee, then I second guessed myself and thought it might be a fly that mimics a bee in coloration and look. The Bug Chicks confirmed for me that it is indeed a bee, a mason bee. Folks use mason bees to assist in pollinating their gardens (you can read about it in this post from The Nature of Portland). So, here’s Patrick enjoying some one-on-one time with this gentle, little creature:
- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- Nature-based camps for Summer 2015
- Monday thought of the week: part of the children’s daily existence
- Children at Nature Play Signs are now available!
- Wednesday photo of the week: stump play
- Monday thought of the week: it is up to us
- Nature play signs available soon & t-shirt offerings
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- Wednesday photo of the week: nature stroll
- Nature play t-shirts available again!
- Monday thought of the week: loosen up