When: Aug 09, 2012 12:00 AM to Aug 12, 2012 12:00 AM
The International Society of Arboriculture’s annual conference is coming to town, and Portland Audubon will be joining in the fun. All of the following events are open to the public.
Old-growth Tree Climb
Aug. 9-10 | 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. | Portland Audubon Nature Sanctuary
Climb almost 200 feet into the canopy of Portland Audubon’s Nature Sanctuary to get an up-close look at life in the trees. This event does not require previous climbing experience, and it will be supervised by professionals from Ascending the Giants to ensure participants’ personal safety and the safety of the trees.
Each half-day session will also include tours of Portland Audubon’s trails and Wildlife Care Center. Participants will have the opportunity to view raptors and rescued wildlife, talk about invasive plant management, and learn site history. Cost is $125 per person;please register online.
Saturday, Aug. 11 | 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. | Laurelhurst Park
Arbor Fair is a free, family-friendly event all about trees. Enjoy a variety of fun activities and watch the International Tree Climbing Competition. Activities include:
- Kids’ Tree Climb – experience recreational tree climbing in a safe and fun environment
- Tree workshops
- Educational booths
- Crafts by local artisans
- An “Ask the Arborist” booth
- Fun tree quizzes
- Opportunities to learn how to tie climbing knots
- Bucket rides – get a tree’s perspective of the world
International Tree Climbing Championship
Saturday, Aug. 11 | 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. | Laurelhurst Park
Sunday, Aug. 12 | 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. | Laurelhurst Park
Watch the world’s best professional arborists compete for the chance to become World Champion. This event overlaps with the Aug. 11 Arbor Fair. Preliminary events take place on Saturday, with final competitions for the championship on Sunday.
For more information, visit the International Arboriculture website.
- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- Wednesday photo of the week: stick handler
- Monday thought of the week: more than we can ever learn from books
- Help kids connect to nature in National Parks! It’s so easy…
- Wednesday photo of the week: paddling
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- Monday thought of the week: just one father
- BOOK: Ancient Places: People and Landscape in the Emerging Northwest
- BOOK: Welcome to Subirdia & lecture video
- Wednesday photo of the week: on the trail together
- Monday thought of the week: nature to love everywhere