Gabriel Park () in SW Portland is a pretty large park. There’s a community center for recreation classes, tennis courts, a skate park, an off-leash dog area, playgrounds, baseball fields, and… a natural area! Afton and I took a short walk through the natural area and were pleasantly surprised. The highlight was seeing a Pileated Woodpecker (photos).
Purchase books from
- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- BOOK: Birds of the Pacific Northwest
- Guest Post: Super Nature Adventures & a Giveaway
- BOOK: Out of School and Into Nature: The Anna Comstock Story
- Monday thought of the week: the play room
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- Monday thought of the week & a new book for parents – Let Them Eat Dirt
- Wednesday photo of the week: our neighborhood trail
- Monday thought of the week: little outdoor people
- Wednesday photo of the week: salamander
- Monday thought of the week: natural playmates