If you know of or are organizing a nature event suitable for children or families, please let me know! (email to darwinsbulldog AT gmail DOT com).
Upcoming hikes with Oregon Wild
December 3 | Exploring the Unknown Tualatin River | Metro Master Gardeners
December 7 | Circle of Life Celebration (about salmon) | Columbia Springs
December 10 | Nature Night: Finding and Photographing Hidden Nature in Your Neighborhood w/ Scott Carpenter | Audubon Society of Portland
December 13 | Kids Nature Night Out: Care of Magical Creatures | Tualatin Hills Nature Park
December 14 | Waterbird Watching 101 | Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge
December 16 | Birds of Prey program | Hillsboro Library
December 20 | Night at the Refuge | Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge
December 21 | Park After Dark: Winter Solstice | Tualatin Hills Nature Park
December 26-31 Whale Watching Week Oregon State Parks
Regular nature outings: Nature Days in the Park and Nature Mobile from Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District’s Natural Resources, Honeybee Hikes at Leach Botanical Garden, Story and Strolls and Guided Nature Walks at Tryon Creek State Park, Ladybug Nature Walks with Portland Parks & Recreation, Puddle Stompers at Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge, Bird Walks for adults and kids through Backyard Bird Shop, free field trips with Audubon Society of Portland volunteers, Library events with The Bug Chicks, Farm Fridays at Zenger Farm, and Second Saturdays at the Water Resources Education Center in Vancouver, WA.
– $2 admission at OMSI the first Sunday of every month
– $3 admission at the World Forestry Center the first Wednesday of every month
– $4 admission at the Oregon Zoo the second Tuesday of every month
– FREE admission at the Portland Art Museum the fourth Friday of every month, 5-8pm
– FREE admission at the Portland Children’s Museum the first Friday of every month, 4-8pm
– FREE admission at the Oregon Historical Society & Museum every day for Multnomah County residents
*My friend Laura posts a monthly listing of kid and family-friendly events of natural, scientific, and cultural interest. December’s list is here.