Slim pickings for the month of December:
December 13 | Kids Nature Night Out: Care of Magical Creatures | Tualatin Hills Nature Park
December 14 | Waterbird Watching 101 | Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge
December 16 | Birds of Prey program | Hillsboro Library
December 20 | Night at the Refuge | Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge
December 21 | Park After Dark: Winter Solstice | Tualatin Hills Nature Park
December 26-31 Whale Watching Week Oregon State Parks
Regular nature outings (check websites for seasonal scheduling): Nature Days in the Park and Nature Mobile from Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District’s Natural Resources, Honeybee Hikes at Leach Botanical Garden, Story and Strolls and Guided Nature Walks at Tryon Creek State Park, Ladybug Nature Walks with Portland Parks & Recreation, Puddle Stompers at Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge, Bird Walks for adults and kids through Backyard Bird Shop, free field trips with Audubon Society of Portland volunteers, Library events with The Bug Chicks, Tadpole Tales with Columbia Slough Watershed Council, Farm Fridays at Zenger Farm, and Second Saturdays at the Water Resources Education Center in Vancouver, WA.
– $2 admission at OMSI the first Sunday of every month
– $3 admission at the World Forestry Center the first Wednesday of every month
– $4 admission at the Oregon Zoo the second Tuesday of every month
– FREE admission at the Portland Art Museum the fourth Friday of every month, 5-8pm
– FREE admission at the Portland Children’s Museum the first Friday of every month, 4-8pm
– FREE admission at the Oregon Historical Society & Museum every day for Multnomah County residents
*My friend Laura posts a monthly listing of kid and family-friendly events of natural, scientific, and cultural interest. December’s list is here.