Sign the petition by June 30!
- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- Wednesday photo of the week: tree swing
- Monday thought of the week: watch her go!
- BOOK: The Big Book of Nature Activities: A Year-Round Guide to Outdoor Learning
- Wednesday photo of the week: immersed
- Monday thought of the week: touched
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- Wednesday photo of the week: creek exploring
- Monday thought of the week: a paradox
- Wednesday photo of the week: happy kid, happy earth
- Monday thought of the week: heading outside
Author Archives: darwinsbulldog
A thought: Give a child a pair of binoculars or a camera, and he will be occupied for a moment or two, before setting it aside. But give her a net, and watch her go! – Robert Michael Pyle, “The … Continue reading
Every time I share about a new book of nature activities, I wonder if there is the need for more books of this nature. And while it may seem that one book or a few might be enough for a … Continue reading
A thought: We have to let children touch nature, because that which is untouched is unloved. – Emma Marris (from her recent TED talk, see below)
— Please check for any schedule changes or registration requirements — Nature-based camps for Summer 2016 – now registering! Community canoe paddle schedule with Lower Columbia Estuary Partnership Early morning bird walks at Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge: August 6, Sept. 3, and Oct. 1 … Continue reading
A thought: It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital connection between them. – Leo Buscaglia, motivational speaker and professor in special education