Purchase books from
- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- BOOK REVIEW: Charley Harper’s What’s in the Desert? A Nature Discovery Book
- BOOK REVIEW: Seasons of Joy
- BOOK REVIEW: On a Magical Do-Nothing Day
- BOOK REVIEW: The Creaky Knees Guide Pacific Northwest National Parks and Monuments: The 75 Best Easy Hikes
- BOOK: Rainy Day Kids Adventure Book
- BOOK REVIEW: Grand Canyon by Jason Chin
- BOOK: There’s No Such Thing as Bad Weather & GIVEAWAY!
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- BOOK REVIEW: Where’s Rodney?
- BOOKS: Six recent titles from Dawn Publications about the natural world
Category Archives: mt. st. helens
If I wanted to teach my child about the Columbia River Gorge, that 80-mile canyon that stretches between Oregon and Washington, where multitudes of waterfalls – including Multnomah Falls – pour into the westward-bound Columbia River, we could head over … Continue reading
In mid-July, I took Patrick to Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument in Washington. Mt. St. Helens erupted on May 18, 1980. It’s about a two-hour drive from Portland to the Johnston Ridge Observatory. We spent some time checking out the exhibits, … Continue reading