Purchase books from
- All writings and photographs on this site are, unless otherwise noted, © Michael D. Barton.
- BOOK REVIEW: Charley Harper’s What’s in the Desert? A Nature Discovery Book
- BOOK REVIEW: Seasons of Joy
- BOOK REVIEW: On a Magical Do-Nothing Day
- BOOK REVIEW: The Creaky Knees Guide Pacific Northwest National Parks and Monuments: The 75 Best Easy Hikes
- BOOK: Rainy Day Kids Adventure Book
- BOOK REVIEW: Grand Canyon by Jason Chin
- BOOK: There’s No Such Thing as Bad Weather & GIVEAWAY!
- Upcoming nature events in Portland
- BOOK REVIEW: Where’s Rodney?
- BOOKS: Six recent titles from Dawn Publications about the natural world
Category Archives: weather
For many of us the rainy season is either here or soon upon us. It can be difficult to muster the energy for getting outside with kids when it’s pouring out. The advice and suggested activities in this new book … Continue reading
Last spring when I attended the annual Children & Nature Network conference in Vancouver, B.C., I met Linda McGurk, a Swedish-born, Indiana-living freelance journalist and mother of two girls who writes the blog Rain or Shine Mamma. We had been … Continue reading
BOOK REVIEW: Whatever the Weather: Science Experiments and Art Activities that Explore the Wonders of Weather
I am delighted to see this book come to fruition. For perhaps a year now I have been following the authors’ blog, Twitter, and Facebook page/group Mud Puddles to Meteors, as well as one of the authors on her own Instagram. They … Continue reading
We were at OMSI getting dinosaur figurines to put on top of cupcakes for Patrick’s birthday party this weekend, and it started to hail pretty good on us. Immediately Patrick tried catching clumps to eat…